Apple just release the iOS 11.2.2 update for Safari and WebKit to mitigate the effects of Spectre.
Here’s what Apple is saying about the security content of iOS 11.2.2.
Released January 8, 2018
Available for: iPhone 5s and later, iPad Air and later, and iPod touch 6th generation
Description: iOS 11.2.2 includes security improvements to Safari and WebKit to mitigate the effects of Spectre (CVE-2017-5753 and CVE-2017-5715).
We would like to acknowledge Jann Horn of Google Project Zero; and Paul Kocher in collaboration with Daniel Genkin of University of Pennsylvania and University of Maryland, Daniel Gruss of Graz University of Technology, Werner Haas of Cyberus Technology, Mike Hamburg of Rambus (Cryptography Research Division), Moritz Lipp of Graz University of Technology, Stefan Mangard of Graz University of Technology, Thomas Prescher of Cyberus Technology, Michael Schwarz of Graz University of Technology, and Yuval Yarom of University of Adelaide and Data61 for their assistance.
Steven Millward, writing for Tech in Asia;
Already China’s most-used app, WeChat wants to make itself even more ubiquitous by allowing people to find and play games inside the messaging app.
WeChat, which has nearly a billion users, today rolled out a handful of what it calls “mini games.” They’re specially created games that work only within WeChat and don’t require downloading or installing.
The app is called Haven and you can download it from the Google Play Store.
Haven is an open source app that will run on any Android phone, particularly inexpensive and older devices. It operates like a surveillance system, using the device’s camera, audio recording capability and even accelerometer to detect movement and notify a user. The idea is that, even with the best encryption in the world, a device is vulnerability to physical, in-person tampering — also known as “evil maid” because literally a hotel maid could access it.
Angkas Padala is an on-demand ROADSIDE delivery service.
Here are the things that you need to know about Angkas Padala.
I just notice, Facebook is now injecting ads in Messenger. I guess its just a matter of time before Facebook starts to monetize Messenger. So much for free service!
It was a good 20 years! 🙁
GO-JEK is an Indonesian hyperlocal transport, logistics and payments startup founded in 2010. It aims to improve the welfare of workers in Indonesia’s vast informal sector. It is also the first startup of Indonesian origin to be classified as a transport system after closing a round of funding in August 2016. GO-JEK’s fleet now exceeds 400,000 drivers and includes motorcycles, cars and trucks. Go-Jek is available in 50 cities in Indonesia.
Victor Barreiro Jr., writing for Rappler;
Privacy-minded Android users may want to steer clear of the recently released Know Your Rights app of the Philippine National Police.
Here’s the post from Art Samaniego Jr.;
Then this Facebook post, focus on the code inside the red line.
Bottom line, why would an informational application need access to your phone and second that “backdoor” string is something that people who wants to install and use the app needs to be aware of.
Today, in the US, we’re rolling out a preview of Messenger Kids, a new app that makes it easier for kids to safely video chat and message with family and friends when they can’t be together in person. After talking to thousands of parents, associations like National PTA, and parenting experts in the US, we found that there’s a need for a messaging app that lets kids connect with people they love but also has the level of control parents want.
To give kids and parents a fun, safer solution, we built Messenger Kids, a standalone app that lives on kids’ tablets or smartphones but can be controlled from a parent’s Facebook account. Whether it’s using video chat to talk to grandparents, staying in touch with cousins who live far away, or sending mom a decorated photo while she’s working late to say hi, Messenger Kids opens up a new world of online communication to families. This preview is available on the App Store for iPad, iPod touch and iPhone.
To know more about FB Messenger for Kids, you can visit https://messengerkids.com/.
Chaim Gartenberg, writing for the Verge;
Apple was forced to release iOS 11.2 on Saturday, which was a little earlier than planned, due to a software bug. Now, Apple Pay Cash — one of the marquee features of the update — is being activated for users.
Apple Pay Cash lets users send and receive money directly though iMessages, similar to Venmo or Square Cash. Money that people send you will live on a digital Apple Pay Cash card in the Wallet app, which users can spend anywhere that Apple Pay is accepted, or send to other people. (The new feature is only available in the US for now, though.)
If you updated to iOS 11.2, that means Apple Pay Cash is already on your phone it’s just disabled.
Apple has release the iOS 11.2 update that has been in beta for the past week. The update will introduce Apple Pay Cash to send, request and receive money with Apple Pay. iOS 11.2 also includes some bug fixes and improvements. You can check the complete release notes below for more details.
To update to iOS 11.2, just go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > SOFTWARE UPDATE. Device owner with iPhone 5s and later, the iPad mini 2 and later, the iPad Air and later, and the 6th-generation iPod touch are eligible to download and install the update.
Full iOS 11.2 Release Notes;
iOS 11.2 introduces Apple Pay Cash to send, request, and receive money from friends and family with Apple Pay. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
Apple Pay Cash (US Only)
Send, request, and receive money from friends and family with Apple Pay in Messages or by asking Siri
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds support for faster wireless charging on iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X with compatible third-party accessories
- Introduces three new Live wallpapers for iPhone X
- Improves video camera stabilization
- Adds support in Podcasts to automatically advance to the next episode from the same show
- Adds support in HealthKit for downhill snow sports distance as a data type
- Fixes an issue that could cause Mail to appear to be checking for new messages even when a download is complete
- Fixes an issue that could cause cleared Mail notifications from Exchange accounts to reappear
- Improves stability in Calendar
- Resolves an issue where Settings could open to a blank screen
- Fixes an issue that could prevent swiping to Today View or Camera from the Lock Screen
- Addresses an issue that could prevent Music controls from displaying on the Lock Screen
- Fixes an issue that could cause app icons to be arranged incorrectly on the Home Screen
- Addresses an issue that could prevent users from deleting recent photos when iCloud storage is exceeded
- Addresses an issue where Find My iPhone sometimes wouldn’t display a map
- Fixes an issue in Messages where the keyboard could overlap the most recent message
- Fixes an issue in Calculator where typing numbers rapidly could lead to incorrect results
- Addressed an issue where the keyboard could respond slowly
- Adds support for real-time text (RTT) phone calls for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Improves VoiceOver stability in Messages, Settings, App Store, and Music
- Resolves an issue that prevented VoiceOver from announcing incoming Notifications
A fairly small but significant update for iPhone X owners.
A couple of updates on the tools that I’m using online. First the browser, Mozilla just release Firefox 57 Quantum. If you are using Firefox, you will probably get a notification to restart the browser to apply the new update, if not then you can download the latest version of Firefox at mozilla.org.
Here’s what’s new, from the release notes;
- A completely new browsing engine, designed to take full advantage of the processing power in modern devices
- A redesigned interface with a clean, modern appearance, consistent visual elements, and optimizations for touch screens
- A unified address and search bar. New installs will see this unified bar. Learn how to add the stand-alone search bar to the toolbar
- A revamped new tab page that includes top visited sites, recently visited pages, and recommendations from Pocket (in the US, Canada, and Germany)
- An updated product tour to orient new and returning Firefox users
- AMD VP9 hardware video decoder support for improved video playback with lower power consumption
- An expanded section in preferences to manage all website permissions
I’m one of the few who still prefers Firefox over Google Chrome, I cannot exactly put my fingers into it but even though it’s buggy at times there just something in Firefox that’s better than using Chrome. You can read the full release notes of Firefox Quantum here.
Next is WordPress 4.9, just got an update and it looks like its more on the performance side than anything else. If you’re using WordPress as your CMS for your blog or website, you can automatically update to the latest version by going to ADMIN > DASHBOARD > UPDATE, just make sure you back up your database incase something went wrong.
To know more about WordPress 4.9, you can go here.
Apple just release the iOS 11.1 Update, which will introduce 70 new emojis and some bug fixes and improvements.
To get the iOS 11.1 update, you can go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > SOFTWARE UPDATE. From there just download and install the new update.
Here’s the release notes for iOS 11.1;
iOS 11.1 introduces over 70 new emoji and includes bug fixes and improvements.
- Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more
- Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
- Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
- Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
- Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots
- Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
- Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
- Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
- Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
- Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
- Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
- Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
- Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Klook is Asia’s largest in-destination services booking platform. We give travelers a simple, trusted and convenient way to book and enjoy popular attractions, local experiences and services around the world at exclusive prices.
Travelers everywhere can easily customize their itineraries on klook.com or on Klook’s award-winning mobile app to satisfy their wanderlust and spontaneity. Each day, we help countless customers savor every moment of their trips with over 15,000 offerings in more than 100 destinations at their fingertips. In 2016 alone, over 5 million trips were booked by travelers from over 30 countries.
Klook staff has grown to over 300 across 12 offices in Asia and is backed by reputable investors including Matrix Partners, Sequoia Capital, among others.
With the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, we are introducing some fun, new ways to get creative – from bringing mixed reality and 3D to the masses, to faster broadcasting for gaming, to turning photos and videos into real memories, and so much more. The Fall Creators Update can be experienced on a wide variety of Windows 10 PCs and on a range of Windows Mixed Reality headsets.
Looks like Facebook bet on the wrong (virtual) horse when they bought Oculus!
Chope is a restaurant discovery and booking service that is available in 8 cities. The Chope app allows users to reserve a table at 3,000 top restaurants in Singapore, Jakarta, Bali, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Beijing, Bangkok, and Phuket in seconds, all without saying a word.
Michael Tegos, writing for Tech in Asia;
Singapore-based restaurant discovery and booking startup Chope announced today it’s raised a fresh round of funding worth US$13 million.
The round is led by Asia-Pacific investment firm Square Peg Capital and joined by C31 Ventures and Moelis Australia. Existing investors NSI Ventures, Susquehanna International Group, DSG Consumer Partners, and SPH Ventures also came in for a top-up.
As indicated on the release notes, the iOS 11.0.3 update will fix audio and haptic feedback issue on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, and touch input on 6s if the device is serviced with genuine Apple parts.
As always, you can go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > SOFTWARE UPDATE, to get the latest iOS update if you have not been notified yet.
The world’s leading urban carpooling platform Wunder Carpool has recently rolled out a big update on its app, optimizing the carpooling flow and made creating and finding rides a lot easier.
These changes on the app interface are based on suggestions and feedback it got from its growing community members since it launched in Metro Manila and Cebu last year.
Wunder also launched operations this year in Delhi, Mumbai & Bengaluru.
Wunder’s mobile app connects people commuting in same direction for work and/or home. Car owners share the empty seats in their cars and save money on fuel cost. Passengers get the comfort and convenience of commuting through a private car at a price that is way lower than taxi and often cheaper than public transportation. At the same time, it allows you to choose people you would like to carpool with and it becomes an opportunity to make new friends, network with people in your industry while you commute to work.
Here are the top 7 improvements that every carpooler has been waiting for:
- For first time carpoolers, an in-app preview is now available to check out the app’s main features. Newbies can get a virtual walk-through on how the app works before even logging in.
- To make carpooling more secure, you are now required to key in their phone number as part of the 2-step user verification process.
- Carpoolers can now easily create rides, pick a preferred route and switch role on each ride.
- Car-owners are now free to set the fare for each ride shared and can even set it to zero, if they want
- Organizing a carpool is now easier with its improved browsing interface & better matching on the map.
- The app now has a “My Rides” screen to give a clear overview of all upcoming rides and highlights required actions to manage each organized carpools.
- For recurring carpools, a new feature allows to easily create routines and save them the trouble of setting ride requests/ride offers every day.
Founded in 2014 in Germany, Wunder is launching carpooling communities in the world’s most gridlocked cities. It now has more than 700,000 users from India and the Philippines, sharing over 2 million rides.
Jacob Kastrenakes, writing for the Verge;
It’s a sad moment: AIM, AOL’s long-running instant messenger service that was core to many people’s first social experiences on the internet, will shut down once and for all on December 15th. AOL announced the shutdown today, acknowledging that people now communicate in new ways online, so AIM is no longer needed.
AIM was my first ever messenger, I still have and using my AIM/AOL screen name up to this day.
If you’re one of those who hears “crackling” sound that when making a call on your new iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, then this is the update that will fix the problem.
You can go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > SOFTWARE UPDATE, to get the new update if you have not been notified yet.