Natt Garun, writing for The Verge;
Dropbox announced a redesign today that introduces a whole lot more color into its former white-and-blue aesthetic. The new look also includes a flatter box logo that makes it look less like an actual box and more like planes of surface (or an… even more abstract box, for the non-artistic types.)
I’m not a big Dropbox user, since I just install its desktop app, set it up to sync a particular folder and that’s it.
It sounds like Dropbox will not only offer file-sharing but will soon roll-out features that users can use to collaboration, communication and more, I guess we’ll know in time.
Chris Welch, writing for The Verge;
Facebook Messenger Lite, the excellent, cruft-free of Facebook’s chat app that focuses on the essentials, is expanding to the US, UK, Canada, and Ireland. The Android-only app was originally launched so that users could access Messenger in areas with sluggish mobile connectivity.
From the Messenger Lite apps’s description page;
Installs quickly. It’s less than 10MB to install, saving storage space on your phone.
Saves data. It loads fast, runs efficiently and uses less mobile data.
Works everywhere. Reach people when you’re in an area with a slow or unstable internet connection.
Runs on most phones. You can use it on Android phones version 2.3 (Gingerbread) or higher.
Looks like Facebook is following Twitter’s playbook when it comes to service emerging markets.
You can download the Messenger Lite app here.
iOS 11.0.1 brings hundreds of new features to iPhone and iPad including an all new App Store, a more proactive and intelligent Siri, improvements to Camera and Photos, and augmented reality technologies to enable immersive experiences. iOS 11.0.1 is also the biggest release for iPad ever and adds powerful new multitasking features, a new Files app and more ways to use Apple Pencil.
You can read the full release note of iOS 11 here.
Founded by Joel Sng and launched in Singapore in July 2015. honestbee is an online grocery, food and laundry delivery service that was launched in Singapore in July 2015. The service is also available in Singapore, Taipei, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur and Manila.
Twitter just introduced a native Twitter Lite app for old and slow android devices and currently testing it in the Philippines. Twitter said that the app will work on phones and only supports 2G and 3G networks, running Android 5.0 and up; available in both English and Filipino. Plus the installation will only take up 3 MB of space.
You can go here to download the app.
These are the new Controls that you can add to the Control Center after updating to iOS 11.
I like the new Screen Recording and would recon that a lot of Youtube Video will be popping up using this iOS 11 features.
Here are More Controls that you can add.
You can go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Control Center, to add or remove new controls on your Control Center.
This is my new Control Center!
Shannon Liao, writing for The Verge;
Saudi Arabia is lifting a year-long ban on Skype and other services like WhatsApp and Snapchat, effective at 8PM ET today. According to a statement from Saudi Arabia’s telecommunications authority posted on Twitter, any voice and video apps that meet the rules will be allowed.
Here’s the tweet from CITC;
You can read Saudi’s CITC official announcement here, the translated version here.
Saudi Arabia block VoIP-based messenger more than 4 years ago. It make sense for the Kingdom to remove the block specially in a state of economic crunch, since an increase in data consumption will be an additional revenue for telecom provider.
Mitchel Broussard, writing for MacRumors;
With the launch of iOS 11 today, Apple has turned hundreds of millions of iPhones into augmented reality-capable devices thanks to the support of a new developer framework called ARKit. With this technology, iOS developers can more easily craft AR experiences for users on compatible iPhones and iPads, using each device’s built-in cameras, processors, and motion sensors.
As of now, the first wave of these apps are available for you to download and test on the iOS 11 App Store. The first apps range from game updates to practical everyday tools and even apps that encourage a healthier lifestyle, with more refined experiences likely coming in the future once developers get a grasp on what users enjoy with the first wave of apps.
These apps are great specially if you showed it to kids.
I installed Edmunds and not included in the list; World Brush and Stack AR.
Zen Estacio, reporting for Yugatech;
ASUS announced through the ZenCircle website that the photo-sharing app is closing its doors on October 16, 2017.
Here’s the full text of ASUS’ announcement.
We are very thankful for your love and support through the years. Your continuous support and encouragement has shaped ZenCircle into what it is today and formed an amazing community. However, all good things must come to an end: we regret to inform you that ZenCircle will be terminated on October 16, 2017.
It has been a great journey with every one of you, exploring the world together through the photos you’ve shared. As part of the ZenUI family, we are committed to bringing you the best ZenUI user experience, and we’ll be back with more exciting features in the future. A million thanks to all of you!
The ZenCircle Team
Starting Tuesday, iPhone and iPad customers around the world will be able to update their devices to iOS 11, a major update to the world’s most advanced mobile operating system and the biggest software release ever for iPad. iOS 11 brings augmented reality to hundreds of millions of iOS devices and new professional capabilities improve images in Photos and Camera. Siri is more natural and useful and a redesigned App Store makes it easier to discover apps and games.
Depending on where you are in the world, iOS 11 may already be available for your device. However, before you go and download iOS 11, there are things that you need to do, I cannot stress enough how important item number 2.
Internet voice and video calling apps such as Skype, Viber and WhatsApp will be unblocked in Saudi Arabia from next week.
Coordination between the Communications and Information Technology Commission and telecommunications service providers is under way to enable everyone to benefit from applications that provide voice and video communications over the Internet, said Abdullah bin Amer Al-Sawahah, the minister of Communications and Information Technology.
VoIP apps like Skype, Viber and WhatsApp have been blocked in the Kingdom for more than 4 years now.
Kathrina Charmaine Alvarez, reporting for GMA News;
The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) has “unanimously agreed” to increase taxi fares, making it “at par” with the rates of transport network company Uber, Chairman Martin Delgra III said Wednedsay.
It appears that LTFRB totally miss the point as to why commuters are favoring Uber and TNVS (transport network vehicle services), taxi in Metro Manila obviously lower than the rate of Uber but people still prefer Uber over taxis, heck I prefer Uber over taxis.
It more about the overall service that TNVS provides to its riders, the friendly drivers, convenience in booking and most of all they don’t refuse any commuters/riders.
Chairman Martin Delgra III added, an increase in taxi fares would hopefully solve the problem of “underutilization” of cabs.
Good luck with that!
The twitter account of Apple support just confirm the release date of iOS 11 and include a list of device that will be compatible with iOS 11.
While watching the Apple September iPhone event, I got a notification that the iOS 11 is now available and it looks like the iOS 11 update will only be available to beta testers and developers as well, since the full iOS 11 version will be available on the 19th of September.
Here’s the release notes of iOS 11;
- All-new App Store designed for discovering great apps and games everyday
- New Today tab helps you discover new apps and games with stories, how-to guides, and more
- New Games tab to find new games and see what’s most popular with top game charts
- Dedicated Apps tab with top picks, dedicated app charts, and app categories
- App pages include more video previews, Editors’ Choice badges, easier access to user ratings, and information about in-app purchases
- New Siri voice is more natural and expressive
- Translate English words and phrases into Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish (beta)
- Siri suggestions based on your usage of Safari, News, Mail, and Messages
- Works with notes apps to create to-do lists, notes and reminders
- Works with banking apps for account transfer and balances
- Works with apps that display QR codes
- Hindi and Shanghainese dictation
- Portrait mode now supports optical image stabilization, HDR and True Tone flash
- Photos and videos will take up half the space with the new HEIF and HEVC image and video formats
- Redesigned set of nine filters optimized for natural skin tones
- Automatically identify and scan QR codes
- Loop, Bounce, and Long Exposure Live Photo effects
- Mute, trim, or choose a new key photo for Live Photos
- Memory Movies automatically adapt content for portrait and landscape orientation
- More than a dozen new memory types including pets, babies, weddings, and sporting events
- People album is more accurate and stays up to date across devices with iCloud Photo Library
- Animated GIF support
- Indoor maps for major airports and shopping centers
- Lane guidance and speed limit information with Turn-by-turn directions
- One-handed zoom with double tap and swipe
- Interact with Flyover by moving your device
Do Not Disturb while Driving
- Automatically silences notifications while driving and keeps iPhone silent and display off
- Optional iMessage auto reply to alert selected contacts that you’re driving
New features designed for iPad
- An all new Dock provides quick access to your favorite and recently used apps and can even be shown on top of active apps
- Dock resizes so you can add all of your favorite apps
- Recently used and Continuity apps are available on the right
- Enhanced Slide Over and Split View
- Apps can be easily started in Slide Over and Split View from the Dock
- Slide Over and background apps now run simultaneously
- Apps in Slide Over and Split View can now be placed on the left side of the screen
- Drag and drop
- Move text, images, and files between apps on iPad
- Multi-Touch to move multiple items at the same time
- Spring-loading to move content between apps
- Markup works across documents, PDFs, webpages, photos and more
- Instant markup anything in iOS – just place Apple Pencil on what you want to mark
- Create a PDF and markup anything that can be printed
- Instantly create a new note by tapping on Lock Screen with Apple Pencil
- Inline drawing available by simply placing Apple Pencil in body of a note
- Search handwritten text
- Document scanner autocorrects for skewing and uses image filters to remove shadows
- Table support to organize and display information
- Pin important notes to the top of the list
- All-new Files app to browse, search and organize files
- Works with iCloud Drive and 3rd party cloud file providers
- Recents view for quick access to recently used files across all apps and cloud services
- Create folders and sort files by name, date, size and tags
- Flick down on letter keys to enter numbers, symbols and punctuation marks on iPad
- One-handed keyboard support on iPhon
- New keyboards for Armenian, Azerbaijani, Belarusian, Georgian, Irish, Kannada, Malayalam, Maori, Odia, Swahili, and Welsh
- English input on the 10-key Pinyin keyboard
- English input on the Japanese Romaji keyboard
- New accessory types including AirPlay 2 speakers, sprinklers and faucets
- Expanded occupancy, time and accessory based triggers
- QR code and tap to pair accessory setup support
- Augmented reality technologies that apps from the App Store can use to deliver content on top of real-world scenes for interactive gaming, immersive shopping experiences, industrial design and more
- Core machine learning technologies that apps from the App Store can use to deliver intelligent features with machine learning data processed on device for high performance and user privacy
Other features and improvements
- Control Center redesign brings all controls on one page
- Control Center custom controls including accessibility, guided access, magnifier, text size, screen recording and Wallet
- Apple Music now helps you discover music with friends. Create a profile so friends can listen to playlists you’ve shared and see the music you listen to most
- Apple News now includes Top Stories picked just for you, recommendations from Siri, the best videos of the day in Today View, and great stories selected by our editors in the new Spotlight tab
- Automatic Setup signs you in to iCloud, Keychain, iTunes, App Store, iMessage, and FaceTime with your Apple ID
- Automatic Setup restores device settings including language, region, network, keyboard preferences, places you frequently visit, how you talk to Siri, home and health data
- Easily share access to your Wi-Fi networks
- Storage optimization notifications and free up space in Settings for apps like Photos, Messages, and more
- Emergency SOS calls emergency services based on your current location and automatically notifies emergency contacts, shares your location, and displays your Medical ID
- FaceTime lets you capture Live Photos from the other person’s Mac or iPhone camera
Easily check Flight status in Spotlight and Safari
- Definitions, conversions and math support in Safari
- Russian and English bilingual dictionary
- Portuguese and English bilingual dictionary
- Arabic system font support
- VoiceOver descriptions support for images
- VoiceOver tables and lists support in PDFs
- Type to Siri support for basic search queries
- Spoken and braille caption support for videos
- Dynamic Type increases text and app UI to larger sizes
- Redesigned Invert Colors make media content easier to view
- Highlight Colors improvements in Speak Selection and Speak Screen
- Switch Control typing can scan and type whole words at a time
iOS 11 is performance optimized for 64-bit apps. 32-bit apps will need to be updated by the app developer to work with this version of iOS.
Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas, for more information visit: https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability and https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
I got the iOS 11 Public Beta 9 a couple of days ago and it looks like the next version will be the GM version.
Shannon Liao, writing for The Verge;
Facebook is conducting a test right now to bring the rainbow to you. Currently, only a select few users can see the test, and it appears to only work on mobile. Colorful status updates first came to Facebook’s Android app last December, and Facebook recently adopted the feature on WhatsApp.
Not sure how to react to this news, except that Facebook is starting to look like the old Friendster or MySpace.
Night mode have been available on Twitter for iOS and Twitter for Android for more than a year now and I have been using it since it came out.
Here are steps on how to enable night mode on twitter.com;
To enable night mode via twitter.com, click on your profile photo, then select Night mode from the drop-down menu. To disable night mode, simply click on the Night mode setting again.
I’ve setup my profile to use the blue links and a black keyboard for my header photo, so the night mode compliments the theme of my profile.
Leighton Cosseboom, writing for Tech in Asia;
Uber Malaysia introduced two new services today, UberFlash and UberTaxi, aiming to make it easier for Malaysians to use the ride-hailing app.
With UberTaxi, Malaysian taxi cabs will be available upon request via Uber. Meanwhile, UberFlash will connect riders to the driver closest to them, whether that is a private UberX car or a taxi on the e-hailing network.
Uber is launching these services inside Grab’s own backyard.
You can read Uber’s announcement here.
I was mistaken when I said that iOS 11 Public Beta 7 is “most likely be the last beta update that Apple will roll-out.” Since I got another notification to download the iOS 11 Public Beta 8, and checking with the other iOS Developers, Apple released the iOS 11 beta 9 for developers and it looks like there will be iOS 11 Public Beta 9 before the they (Apple) roll-out the GM version.
This is uncharted area for Apple, with regards to the number of beta that releases. The most number of betas that Apple released is for the iOS 10 beta 8 before they release the GM version.
Since Apple will reportedly have its iPhone launch event on 12th of September, this will most likely be the last beta update that Apple will roll-out. The next update will be the GM version of iOS 11.
I have Manila Rush on my phone and have been playing it since it came out. Other notable games that you may want to checkout are;
I’ve been using iOS 11 public beta on my iPhone 6s for more than a month now and iOS 11 Public Beta 6 feels like its the beta that’s nearest to the final version that Apple is expected to release next month. If you’re feeling adventurous, you can go to http://beta.apple.com, to enroll your device and download the iOS 11 Beta via Apple’s Beta software program.