Mark Hachman, writing for PC World;
Intel pushed further ahead into its 8th-generation Core series with the launch of its mainstream desktop chips on Sunday night, including the 6-core/12-thread Core i7-8700K, which Intel claims is its best gaming chip ever. Intel also beefed up its Core i5 family with 6-core parts, as well as its first quad-core Core i3.
You can read official announcement here.
I love to see a macbook pro using 6-core/12-thread Core i7-8700K!
Corinne Reichert, writing for ZDNet;
Chinese networking giant Huawei has unveiled its Kirin 970 chipset with built-in artificial intelligence (AI), calling it the “future of smartphones”.
The chipset has a dedicated neural processing unit (NPU), and was built using a 10nm advanced process with 5.5 billion transistors contained in an area of just one square centimetre.
The Kirin 970 mobile AI computing platform is powered by an 8-core CPU and a 12-core GPU, which Huawei said delivers 25x greater performance and 50x greater efficiency compared to a quad-core Cortex-A73 CPU cluster.
Today Xiaomi just unveiled Surge S1, our first-ever SoC chipset designed in-house by Xiaomi that delivers performance and power efficiency. Xiaomi is only one of 4 leading smartphone companies to create a chipset designed and developed in-house. The Surge S1 is an octa-core 64-bit processor that runs up to 2.2GHz at max frequency. The Mali-T860 quad-core GPU has a 40% improved power efficiency (compared to the previous-gen Mali-T760) when running graphic intensive apps. We’ve also packed in a 32-bit high performance DSP for better voice processing for calls, and also dual microphones for noise reduction so your voice can be clearly heard. The 14-bit dual ISP enhances image processing capabilities and our Surge ISP algorithm improves camera light sensitivity by up to 150% and the dual noise reduction algorithm also preserves detail in low light. Having an upgradable base band means having VoLTE definition voice call and more secure against fraudulent base stations.
Check it out:
– Octa-core 64-bit chipset (4xA53 cores 2.2GHz + 4xA53 cores 1.4GHz)
– 28nm High Performance Computing (HPC) process
– Mali-T860 quad-core GPU
– AFBC + ASTC image compression technology
– 32-bit high performance DSP for voice processing
– 14-bit dual ISP; enhanced image processing capabilities
– Surge ISP algorithm improves camera light sensitivity by 150%
– Dual noise reduction algorithm reduces noise and preserves image detail in low light
– Upgradable baseband; programmable modem, OTA upgradable
– VoLTE high quality call and video support
– Chip-level security; TEE architecture, strict compliance with safety regulations
– Antutu score 64,817
Another page from Apple’s playbook.