Other may disagree but Animoji is the killer feature of the iPhone X.
Agence France-Presse via Manila Bulettin;
Bitcoin broke through the $10,000 barrier for the first time on Wednesday as it continues a stratospheric rise that has delighted investors but sparked fears of a bubble.
The virtual currency hit a high of $10,379 in Asia, according to Bloomberg News, more than 10 times higher than its value at the start of the year.
LOOK: LTFRB launches their new and improved website today, 28 November 2017. The new site has an extensive content for land transport policies, programs, projects, and services. #DOTr
CLICK HERE -> https://t.co/urXUJoH4vn
— DOTr (@DOTrPH) November 28, 2017
It’s unclear what will happen with the old domain (http://ltfrb.gov.ph/) since DOTr registered and use a new one (http://ltfrb.ph.net/) but I assume that after working out the kinks, DOTr will eventually transfer the new site to the old domain (http://ltfrb.gov.ph/).
Agence France-Presse via Manila Bulletin;
Tumblr founder and chief David Karp on Monday announced he is leaving the nearly 11-year-old blogging platform — with his departure coming in the wake of Verizon buying parent-company Yahoo.
Karp said that he will leave by the end of this year and chief operating officer Jeff D’Onofrio will take his place at the helm of Tumblr.
Not a good sign.. for a platform known for hosting tons of porn GIF!
Letter I just sent to my team ♥️ https://t.co/3Vsv3ROuhf
— David Karp (@davidkarp) November 27, 2017
Escape from Cyber Monday with our one-of-a-kind Internet Escape Pod. Let Colonel Sanders and his protective dome help take you back to a simpler, internet-free time. https://t.co/3oIcv6NDtY pic.twitter.com/6sYqmMv7TZ
— KFC (@kfc) November 16, 2017
Cyber Monday is fast approaching, which means you are about to be bombarded with a hailstorm of coupons, BOGOs, hot dealz, and brand advertising. Find sanctuary for yourself and your loved ones under Colonel Sanders and his Internet Escape Pod. Yup, this dome is like a magic force field designed to disrupt the internet coming to and from your devices. We were going to sell this for the ridiculously high price of $96,485.34, but in the spirit of Cyber Monday it can be yours for $10,000. So this Cyber Monday (or really anytime you want; I mean you bought it, so it’s up to you), let Colonel Sanders’ protective embrace take you back to a simpler time.
In case you haven’t noticed, our specialty is fried chicken, not internet-blocking cages. Although we have done our best to ensure total internet escape, a special person with a gizmo has to test our cage before we can claim total and utter signal impenetrability. Upon installation, every effort will be taken to ensure it fully blocks your device. You have the Colonel’s word.
- Steel and stainless steel mesh cage
- Colonel made from 8 pound high-density architectural foam and enamel paint
- Made in USA
- Dimensions: 7′ x 7′ x 6′ 6″
I guess, it’s either KFC’s Internet Escape Pod or just turn off your wifi router, device and put it a box and walk away.
Niklas Pollard, Heather Somerville, writing for Reuters;
Uber plans to buy up to 24,000 self-driving cars from Volvo, marking the transition of the U.S. firm from an app used to summon a taxi to the owner and operator of a fleet of cars.
From Volvo’s website, the base model XC90 T5 FWD Momentum have a $49,240 MSRP, while the top of the line 2018 XC90 T8 Plug-in Hybrid eAWD R-Design will have a $70,540 MSRP.
That’s more than $1.2 Billion in sales for Volvo in a span of 3 years (between 2019 and 2021).
Fitz Tepper, writing for TechCrunch;
Yesterday the price shot past $8,000 for the first time, and per usual when it breaks through a milestone is now trading solidly above it at $8,250.
I know someone who treat bitcoin like an investment or similar to stocks, this news will surely make him very very very happy!
AFAIK, he had his bitcoin for sometime now, so you can just imagine the amount of returns he will get if he decides to cash out now. I’m pretty sure he’ll be holding on to it until it reach $10,000/bitcoin.
Abe Olandres, writing for Yugatech;
Smart has announced last week that they will be changing their default data charging rate from Php5 for 15 minutes to Php2 for every 1MB. This is effective November 28, 2017. The new Php2/MB rate now removes the default time-based charging for all Smart Postpaid accounts.
Smart created a detailed help article on the new data charging rate.
We are enhancing our pay-per-use data billing model of Php 5 for every 15 minutes of data consumed to Php 2 for every 1MB consumed. With this enhancement, we will be able to better serve you and your data needs. Please read below to know the new benefits, features, and change in postpaid experience — Effective November 28, 2017
I’m pretty sure a lot of people will not be happy with the new data charging rate.
There is something amazing and scary about a robot that can leap and backflip.
- This will be the first robot that can perform such movement.
- Atlas is more athletic to more than 75% of today’s kids.
- Just imagine, Boston Dynamics creating an Atlas with sturdier materials and increasing the power of its jump!
- Just look at that form, it could rival even a well trained gymnast.
- You may not be aware of this but Boston Dynamics is a Google company.
A fairly small but significant update for iPhone X owners.
A couple of updates on the tools that I’m using online. First the browser, Mozilla just release Firefox 57 Quantum. If you are using Firefox, you will probably get a notification to restart the browser to apply the new update, if not then you can download the latest version of Firefox at mozilla.org.
Here’s what’s new, from the release notes;
- A completely new browsing engine, designed to take full advantage of the processing power in modern devices
- A redesigned interface with a clean, modern appearance, consistent visual elements, and optimizations for touch screens
- A unified address and search bar. New installs will see this unified bar. Learn how to add the stand-alone search bar to the toolbar
- A revamped new tab page that includes top visited sites, recently visited pages, and recommendations from Pocket (in the US, Canada, and Germany)
- An updated product tour to orient new and returning Firefox users
- AMD VP9 hardware video decoder support for improved video playback with lower power consumption
- An expanded section in preferences to manage all website permissions
I’m one of the few who still prefers Firefox over Google Chrome, I cannot exactly put my fingers into it but even though it’s buggy at times there just something in Firefox that’s better than using Chrome. You can read the full release notes of Firefox Quantum here.
Next is WordPress 4.9, just got an update and it looks like its more on the performance side than anything else. If you’re using WordPress as your CMS for your blog or website, you can automatically update to the latest version by going to ADMIN > DASHBOARD > UPDATE, just make sure you back up your database incase something went wrong.
To know more about WordPress 4.9, you can go here.
Jon Russell, writing for TechCrunch;
Alibaba has set another Single’s Day record after the e-commerce giant sold over $25 billion of product on the Chinese biggest online shopping date.
The full number comes in at 163.8 billion RMB, that’s roughly $25.3 billion, in GMV — that’s “gross merchandise volume” which is used to measure a dollar value for all sales on a platform. In Alibaba’s case, that predominantly means its Taobao marketplace and Tmall brand store although it does offer sales via its international services and it ships worldwide. All told, Alibaba handled 1.48 Billion transactions during the 24-hour period.
This is all in just one day! These numbers are truly staggering!
Steven Millward, writing for Tech in Asia;
Following in the footsteps of Amazon’s Fire phone flop, India’s Flipkart today unveiled its first ever phone.
Starting at US$170, the dual camera Billion Capture+ shows India’s biggest homegrown ecommerce store is going after the cheap-and-cheerful sector that’s currently dominated by Chinese brands Xiaomi and Oppo. It goes on sale November 15.
#CaptureIndia as it comes alive at night with its vibrant colors, festivals & celebrations with Billion Capture+. Coming Soon! #MadeForIndia #OnlyOnFlipkart. Know more: https://t.co/l8AZwj4egL pic.twitter.com/afW5dqebrE
— Flipkart (@Flipkart) November 8, 2017
Here’s the full specs of the Billion Capture+ smartphone;
- 5.5 inch FHD Display with 1920 x 1080 resolution, @401 ppi
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 625 64-bit Octa Core 2GHz Processor
- Adreno 506 GPU
- Android Nougat 7.1.2, will upgrade to Android Oreo
- 3GB / 4GB RAM
- 32GB / 64GB storage expandable up to 128 GB via microSD
- Dual Rear Camera: 13MP with RGB sensor + 13MP Monochrome with f2.0 aperture, Dual tone 1A true Flash
- 8MP Front Camera
- Networks: GSM, WCDMA, 4G LTE, FDD
- Wifi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Hotspot,
- 3G, GPRS, Bluetooth,
- 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Sensors: G-sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor, Gyroscope, Hall Sensor, Fingerprint
- FM Radio
- Dimension: 76.5mm x 153mm x 8.5mm
- Weight: 176 G
- 3500 mAh Li-Polymer Battery
- Colors: Desert Golder, Mystic Black
- 64GB with 4 GB RAM – INR 13,999 or around $214*
- 32GB with 3 GB RAM – INR 11,999 or around $183*
*$1 = INR 65.39
Margaret Claire Layug/JST, writing for GMA News;
A taxi driver was caught on camera hitting his passenger after a dispute over the use of the cab’s meter.
Michael Benitez was able to film his attacker with his cellphone right before he hit him in the face, as seen in a “24 Oras” report by Susan Enriquez on Friday.
One more reason why ride-sharing is thriving and fast becoming the preferred mode of transportation for Metro Manila commuters.
After testing the feature last September, Twitter is making the 280 character limit official, meaning you can tweet with more than 140 characters.
Here’s Twitter’s official announcement;
We're expanding the character limit! We want it to be easier and faster for everyone to express themselves.
More characters. More expression. More of what's happening.https://t.co/sjZ8phPGLE
— Twitter Philippines (@TwitterPH) November 7, 2017
Vaughn Chua, writing for Yugatech;
NOW corp is expanding its broadband services in Metro Manila which offers reliable Fiber internet connections in the area.
Hoping that this will materialize!
Makati City Government and the Land Transportation and Franchising Board (LTFRB) has closed down Angkas, a professional on-demand motorcycle taxi service, because the firm have been operating without a valid Business Permit and its drivers have been involved in a number of traffic accidents.
Here’s official announcement;
Angkas on the other hand released a statement regarding their closure.
It’s always sad to see a company, with potential, shut down because of mis-management.
Bitcoin trade in Japan accounts for about half of the global trade volume. That number has surged since the government passed a new law earlier this year, recognizing bitcoin as a legal form of currency.
I assume other countries will follow suit.
John Nieves, writing for UNbox;
If you’re a gamer on a tight budget, buying a cheap, mechanical keyboard from a lesser-known Chinese company like ManisTek might be tempting, especially since their offerings are usually a couple of thousand pesos cheaper than established brands like Razer and Logitech. But there’s always a catch when buying cheap gadgets from China, and for buyers of ManisTek’s GK 2 mechanical gaming keyboard, it’s a built-in keylogger.
Well, if you really want be competitive, why not just get the best in the market.
— Globe Telecom (@enjoyGLOBE) November 3, 2017
— SMART (@LiveSmart) November 2, 2017
No official price and plan for the iPhone X yet? It’ll be interesting how much will Smart and Globe be selling these phone.
The iPhone X is the iPhone that Steve Jobs imagined. He ran out of time to build it, but he built the team that eventually did. Now we’re going to take it apart!
It was great that they place the iPhone X side-by-side the original iPhone.
Extra held the launch event in Granada Mall last Friday, 3rd of November.
I was there but I didn’t realize that the stage was for the iPhone X launch, because we where at the back of the stage and never bothered to check what the event was all about.
Extra’s pricelist for the iPhone X are as follows; SAR 4,399 for the 64 GB model and SAR 4,999 for the 256 GB model. That’s around Php 60k and Php68k in Philippine pesos, respectively.
Alyza Angeles, writing for Yugatech;
Cebu City Mayor Tomas “Tommy” Osmeña announced today that the City Government of Cebu will be using Uber’s system to track the movement of government vehicles and personnel. The reason? To make sure that these government vehicles are used properly.
Here’s the full text of Cebu City Mayor Tomas “Tommy” Osmeña’s announcement.
Under this program, there will be no more overpriced vehicles with “missing” spare parts. No more “sick” drivers being paid to do nothing. No more fuel stolen from gas tanks. No more red-plate vehicles used to bring employees’ families to the beach or mall. And since Uber and Grab are available to everyone, the prices charged to government can be made very transparent. Overpricing is next to impossible, and employees are tracked wherever they go.
Hopefully other LGU and municipalities will follow suit!
Looks like City of Cebu will be utilizing Uber for Business.
Apple just release the iOS 11.1 Update, which will introduce 70 new emojis and some bug fixes and improvements.
To get the iOS 11.1 update, you can go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > SOFTWARE UPDATE. From there just download and install the new update.
Here’s the release notes for iOS 11.1;
iOS 11.1 introduces over 70 new emoji and includes bug fixes and improvements.
- Over 70 new emoji characters including new food types, animals, mythical creatures, clothing options, more expressive smiley faces, gender-neutral characters and more
- Resolves an issue that could cause some photos to appear blurry
- Addresses an issue that could cause Live Photo effects to playback slowly
- Fixes an issue that could cause some photos to not display in the People album when restoring from an iCloud Backup
- Fixes an issue that could impact performance when swiping between screenshots
- Improves braille support for Grade 2 input
- Improves VoiceOver access to multi-page PDFs
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions for announcing incoming notifications
- Improves VoiceOver rotor actions menu when removing an app from the App Switcher
- Fixes an issue for some users where alternative keys would not display when using VoiceOver with Touch Typing
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would always return to default action in Mail
- Fixes an issue where VoiceOver rotor would not delete messages
Other improvements and fixes
- Adds back support for accessing the app switcher by pressing on edge of display with 3D Touch
- Fixes an issue that caused cleared Mail notifications to reappear on Lock screen
- Fixes an issue in enterprise environments that prevented data from being moved between managed apps
- Fixes an issue with some 3rd-party GPS accessories that caused inaccuracies in location data
- Resolves an issue where settings for Heart Rate notifications were appearing in Apple Watch app (1st generation)
- Fixes an issue where app icons were not appearing in notifications on Apple Watch
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222